Ahead of a debate in the Scottish Parliament on economic recovery (Wednesday 2 June 2021), Universities Scotland provided a brief to MSPs outlining universities’ contribution to the nation’s recovery from the pandemic.
In the brief we refer to a report by the National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education (NCEE) which states that over the next five years, universities in Scotland are projected to:
- Provide £1.2 billion of not-for-profit support to businesses and charities;
- Help establish 1,000 new businesses and charities;
- Provide over 1.3 million day’s worth of training and upskilling – the equivalent of half a day for Scotland’s entire workforce;
- Contribute to over £400 million of local regeneration and development funding; and
- Train 21,000 nurses, almost 10,000 medics, and over 22,000 teachers.
Read the full briefing here.