Study in Scotland

Are you looking for information about studying in Scotland?

Scotland is a great place to study. It is home to more world class universities per head of population than just about anywhere else in the world.

It is a destination of choice, for students of all nationalities, for three reasons:

  1. the exceptional quality of education, underpinned by world-class research
  2. the tremendous breadth of learning on offer
  3. universities’ focus on employability

Choosing where to study is a very personal decision. Scotland offers so much choice among its 19 distinctive institutions. We boast some of the world’s oldest and most prestigious as well as the finest modern institutions. The sector offers broad-based degree programmes as well as a highly specialist Conservatoire, art school and agricultural college.

Our universities are proud to welcome students from Scotland, the rest of the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.

Advice on fees and student support may be different depending where you live and whether you are thinking of undergraduate or postgraduate study. Advice on visas will be necessary for students living outside of the UK. This page aims to help you get to the right information for you as quickly as possible.

Visit Study in Scotland or universities’ websites for an overview of Scotland’s 19 higher education institutions and to get a better understanding of what it’s like to live in Scotland and whether you’d need a visa to study if you’re not applying from within the United Kingdom.

Study in Scotland has released a brochure, showcasing Scotland’s world leading institutions as a desirable place to study.

If you live in Scotland

Scottish students attending university in Scotland are eligible for free undergraduate-level study.

The University and College Admissions System (UCAS) helps you find courses and is the means through which you apply to university at undergraduate level.

Student support for your living costs whilst at university is made available through the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).

If you live in England, Wales or NI

If you are normally resident in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and want to study in Scotland then tuition fees do apply for undergraduate study. However, there are no fees upfront; you repay when you start earning after graduation. There may be bursaries or other forms of support available from universities specifically for students from the rest of the UK.

Each university sets their undergraduate fees individually which is the same as universities in England. You can find this information on their websites.

You should apply for student support to cover your living costs from Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales or Student Finance NI, depending on where you live.

If you live in the European Economic Area

From 2021, EU applicants  pay international student fees, but many universities offer EU scholarships.

Further information for EU students planning to study in the Scotland can be found here and here.

You will need to check if you need a UK visa if you’re planning to study in the UK from 1 January 2021 as you will not be eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme unless you were living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

You can apply for a Student visa if you are over 16 and plan to start a course with a provider who can act as a licensed student sponsor.

You do not need a visa to study in the UK for courses up to 6 months, as long as you are studying at an accredited institution. This includes English language courses.

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re studying on an English language course which lasts up to 11 months.

If you live in anywhere else in the world

If you are from outside the EEA and you want to study in Scotland you may need to apply for a student visa.

Make sure you leave plenty of time to complete your applications and allow time for entry clearance, if you require a visa.

You can find further advice on what type of visa you might require from Study in Scotland and from the UK Government.

If you have a disability, you can find information on studying in the UK as a disabled student here.

Want to find out about scholarships?

You can search for scholarships on the Study UK website to see what scholarships different universities have to offer. Alternatively, you can check each individual university website for details on their scholarships that they offer.

If you are an international student (not from the UK) you can also contact your local British Council Office to find out what the offer students from your country to study in the UK. In addition, you can apply for one of UK-wide schemes including Chevening, Commonwealth, GREAT and Fullbright scholarships. Eligibility for these schemes may depend on your nationality and the university you wish to study at.