An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Board for Academic Medicine (BfAM) as its new Chair. The current Chair’s term is due to end on 31 March 2021 and a recruitment process is now underway to appoint a successor.
BfAM exists to promote collaboration between Scotland’s five medical schools and the Scottish Government across the areas of admissions, education, research and international. BfAM is not a formal body of Universities Scotland but we do provide the secretariat.
The role includes:
- Chairing four meetings of the Board per year in Edinburgh (usually with a pre-meeting with heads of the schools).
- Acting as a confidential sounding board for medical schools, Scottish Funding Council and Scottish Government and thereby guiding the Board’s work to take account of the needs of NHS Scotland and support the maintenance of an excellent medical profession in Scotland.
- Promoting collaboration between the Scottish Government and the medical schools to contribute to the delivery of the Scottish Government’s strategic objectives.
- Representing the Board at meetings such as the Scottish Government’s Medical Undergraduate Group and annual meetings with the British Medical Association.
- Should it recommence, oversee the process for the Scottish Senior Clinical Fellowship appointment round.
The role is a half-day per week commitment averaged over the course of the year but this will include weeks with significantly higher commitment and travel. The majority of work can be done by email or by phone but the Chair will need to travel to Edinburgh at least quarterly. Read more about the role and responsibilities here.
The term of office is three years which may be extended for up to a further two years. The additional term will be considered by the Scottish Government and Universities Scotland on behalf of university Principals. The Terms of Reference for the Board can be viewed here but please note they currently under review.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and CV to Dr Lauren Knight (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications for the role close midday Friday 13 November 2020 and interviews are expected to take place, virtually, in early December.
Please contact Dr Lauren Knight (email@example.com) for any queries related to the role.